Saturday, November 6, 2010

San Diego honors a fallen police officer

On October 28th San Diego Police officer Chris Wilson was killed in the line of duty. November 4th was his memorial service. He was a 17 year veteran of the San Diego Police force and was well liked and respected by his fellow officers and the community he served.




Thousands of law enforcement officers filled the seats at the Rock Church in San Diego. Hundreds more overflowed into the lobby and street. Many arrived in a motorcade of about 1,000 patrol cars, motorcycles and fire rigs in a procession stretching more than 12 miles long from Qualcomm Stadium.

For a more in depth look at the service check out the Union Tribune coverage:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/nov/04/thousands-gather-mourn-officer-christopher-wilson/

A large part of my work for many years has been law enforcement training and I have come to know many officers from around the State. I did not know Chris but I know people who work Southeast San Diego.

My friend Randy Grimm from the Sheriffs video unit asked for my help in covering the event. I volunteered because it's important for everyone to give back to the community. It was a record breaking hot day for San Diego, it hit 100 degrees. I was positioned on a roof across from the church. I was very uncomfortable, but as I was feeling sorry for myself I realized my comfort would improve in a couple of hours but the family of the fallen officer will be uncomfortable for years and will never be the same.



Helping out was the least I could do, for someone who gave their life for the good of the community.

No comments:

Post a Comment